Sunday, August 12, 2007

Oh yeah... Steinbeck

Before I get into SF, I should mention that I stopped in Monterey to check out John Steinbeck's old stomping ground. I was interested to better understand the author who created some of my favorite novels. I'm pretty sure just about every class I took, I related whatever literature I was studying to Steinbeck's East of Eden.

Monterey was nice. It was a much chiller city than LA or even SF. It feels like it was skipped over in the sense that there isn't as much money or development going on (of course there is still some), and there isn't as many people. It made it feel a bit like a beach community on Cape Cod.

Cannery Row was probably the most developed portion of Monterey, which is a direct result of Cannery Row. There are flags flying with caricatures of Steinbeck and some of his characters from the book. Still, there were a lot of dilapidated buildings and empty lots. I won't say that it looked the way that I imagined Cannery Row, but it still had the right feel. Nothing of global import was going to happen there in this generation or the next, but it's happening on a local scale and that means something to Monterey. I'm not sure if that translates from the language of my brain to the blog, but that's the best I have right now.

After Monterey, I headed out along the 1 and then the 101 and got to experience the golden rolling hills Steinbeck loved so much. As I was driving out and the sun was getting lower, all the color was washed out of the sides of the hills and it almost looked like they were snow white... It was pretty incredible actually.

3 comments:

Gordon said...

T. Miner....... I'm not sure how this blog stuff works so I can't guarantee if you will get my comments. I had to do some form of registration, very challenging in deed. Secondly, please excuse my chopped english. I don't know who else is following your blog but just tell them, especially the scholars, it is the effort that counts. At least I am stepping-up!

Anyway, Yeah, I will back you up on the ride from Monterey to SF except I did it in reverse-not literally that would be hard on my the neck. I mean from SF to Monterey, water on my right, hills my left. I also did it so long ago I do not believe automatic transmissions existed. Therefore, I can't comment on doing the drive behind the wheel of Carolyn's fancy car with its turbo transmission. I would sure like to give it a shot, though. Even in reverse the drive is spectacular, I agree.

If it is not too late I have a suggestion. On your way east head to Jackson, Wy("I'm going to Jackson"- Johnny Cash). In their own way the mountains of the Grand Teton National Park are as beautiful as that section of the Pacific Ocean, or maybe more so. The drive through that part of the west is truly something- it is so vast. One problem to mention; you will need to get around lots of RVs and motorcycles which should not be a problem in that fired-up VW. As a last resort, there is the middle finger.
Once you get to Jackson take the road out to Mt. Village. Continue past the ski area and shortly you will arrive at a ranger station. This is the entrance to the Park. Ask the ranger how to get to Jenny Lake. The next 5 miles or so are on dirt road through Rockefeller property so you will be able to give the VW a real off-road test(someone may not be happy about this). You really don't need a 4-wheel drive vehicle. When you get to Jenny Lake take the little ferry across to the trail-head for the back canyon. I forget the canyon's name but it is the only spot that the boat goes to. The hike is about 6 miles or so past some great water falls and lots to see. Most of the hike is a general or modest incline, nothing technical unless you want. This will take you to the base(roughly) of The Grand Teton and the middle of no where.

What to bring on the hike?...water, bear mace and a change of underwear in the event that you come across any.

Call me if you get lost.

Peace

Unknown said...

Yeah... that sounds awesome! I have a good week and a half that is essentially unplanned, in which I want to do exactly what you are talking about.

Sorry you had to sign up... I didn't realize BUT Google is about to take over the world, so having the account means you'll be a friend of theirs (rather than an enemy)when they start the revolution.

Gordon said...

Todd, I forgot two things. First, you can camp(I'm pretty sure) all around Jenny Lake and the surrounding back-country, but seriously, be careful of the bears, especially this time of the year. And secondly, if you make it into town don't miss Saturday night at the Cowboy Bar-it is great people watching.