Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Goodbye CA... Hello NV

I am at the end of my first real drive. I have logged about 1500 miles (total) so far on my new car and I put about 620 today. Yikes... but this was a great day.

By far the most interesting part is watching the scenery change as I drive. Starting with the California golden hills, moving into the dense trees along I-80 and then getting into the open skies of Nevada. I am mildly surprised I didn't drive off the road a couple times because I was rubber necking the entire way. I decided to drive through the night to put some miles behind me, and I was greeted with one of the most intense starry skies I have seen in a long time.

I decided to stop twice and head way off I-80 so I could really get a good look. There was a storm rolling in, and honestly thought the haze of the Milky Way was part of the storm clouds. It was a perfect evening... lightning in the distance, meteor showers and twinkling stars (not to mention a HUGE sky). I hung out on top of the Jetta with my feet dangling in the sun roof.

The first place I stopped in was called Emigrant (no joke) and there was a sign that said "No Services" underneath it. I had to sneak onto some public property to escape the light from the road, but it was well worth it.

I think that most drives, I do alone, have a centering effect on me, but this drive was wonderful. I really enjoy being overwhelmed by the geography of the place I am in, and I was constantly feeling that my eyes would not be able to find anything more interesting than the last site. whew... As the evening was drawing near, I was in a long stretch of seemingly uninhabited land. There were long fields that pushed into craggy hills and mountains. As this general fog settled over the land ahead of me, it was masking all the topography until I was right next to it. I would turn to my left and all of a sudden there was a mountain next to me and I couldn't even see the top. Wonderfully intense.

The people are getting more and more interesting and friendly... I love this part of getting into the US. I'm also amazing with some of the areas where people are living... literally, no water source, no services and almost no other people (save the three other houses in a 25 miles radius).

Anyway... I am going to cut out and hit the hay. Two quick things...

First, I think I have a preference for the right side. I had to remind myself all day there were things on my left to see as well. Anyone know how to fix that?

Second, I have seen some great town names today. Here are some of them...

Emigrant (I already gave you that one)*
Beverly Hills, NV (They will not make a show out of this town)*
Winnemucca (easily the largest town/county I have ever seen)
Eureka (It almost felt like a joke)
Lovelock (For the hopeless romantic)

*These are too small to come up in Google Maps!

No comments: