Friday, August 17, 2007

Mount Evans

I took my Jetta up Mount Evans this morning. Mount Evan is a 14,130 foot mountain just outside of Idaho Springs, CO. They have a road that winds and turns all the way to the top. I was expecting to be able to purchase a bumper sticker that would proclaim this morning's accomplishment (like at Mt. Washington), but I guess they haven't figured out how to exploit tourists to their fullest extent yet.

So this photo of my feet is my own photo, and what is interesting is this shot is a long time in coming. When I was in 8th grade my mom took Carolyn and I to France and we traveled from site to site checking out France. While I think the most memorable moment for me, at that age, was spending an afternoon at what turned out to be a topless beach... my second clearest memory is that I was not allowed to take what I thought would be a great photograph. Essentially, we were visiting the foundation of some old building (where it was or why it was important have long since left my brain), which overlooked a valley below... very far below. I thought it would be cool to dangle my feet over the edge of the drop and take a photo. When I started to get into position, my mom grabbed me by the scruff of my neck and that was the end of that. Mom, you may proceed to have a heart-attack now.

Well, this photo represents a 3,000 foot drop. I guess I can check that off the list.

No comments: