Sunday, August 10, 2008

San Redux

After Yangasso, I headed back up to San. I had purposely left some of my stuff in the San Stage house and I wanted to buy a few things at the market.

Coulibaly was working again at the stage house and I snapped a couple shots of his mohawk. It's been growing out a little bit so it isn't in full effect, but it is still rock and roll all the way.


There were a couple volunteers still at the stage house. It was a good time, we went through old photographs left behind by Peace Corps Volunteers from my time and they all looked on as I explained who they were and where they lived. As a volunteer, you have such access to the culture and the community in Mali, but Peace Corps has almost no institutional memory, so any chance volunteers have to connect with the history or Peace Corps, they jump. I remember having that same feeling. It was always so weird to find out about the history of Peace Corps before I arrived. It was like finding a treasure map after you've been searching for burried treasure for the last year and a half.

I spent the afternoon walking around San and buying plastic cups and a hat. I think it was an excellent use of my time.
TW

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Coulibaly grew his hair out and straightened it for my entire service. The mohawk, so much more badass.

Unknown said...

Coulibaly grew his hair out and straightened it for my entire service. The mohawk, so much more badass.